Backstory on cities in UDU?
We go on and play the games in UD, but we never really understand the history of the cities, or why the maps were built as such, like why Newark has a Lift bridge across the river (Forgot the name) instead of a permanent bridge, maybe Newark is a port city?

Anyways I would like to present some of my theories on the history of certain UDU cities

Newark 
Newark was originally built in the Reconstruction Era to serve as a port city to ship goods being made in Masonsville and other Delaware cities. The small town eventually grew to a large city with a decent manufacturing industry. However, as the Great Depression came, many factories closed their doors and those remaining became close to bankrupt. When the New Deal and WWII rolled around, many factories reopened and tanks, guns, and ships were flowing out of Newark to join the American forces in Europe. After the war, the factories enjoyed a period of success until the 60s, when many factories began to pack up and move to other cities in states like North Carolina and Ohio. Newark then fell into a financial crisis as the economy turned for the worse in the 70s. In the 80s, real estate developers began to purchase large swaths of Newark, and redeveloped the city into a bustling financial hub for all of Delaware. Newark has since enjoyed prosperity since, and the city is florishing now
[Image: ygKxrGs.png]

A Kid into BF1 and other games
I've been around for a while

I made this type of thread before for each of the cities, and behold, fan fiction was born. It was called, "Area Info". Thinking of remaking it though.
IL-WI DU: Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie creator
makes games and stuff, yeah.

WESTOVER ISLANDS

In the late 70s, a bunch of rich real estate tycoons from New Jersey were looking for a cheaper weekend beach getaway than Cape May and the Jersey Shore. Their search brought them to Westover Islands, where a there was a small ferry port in Kensington that had just been opened. The tycoons began to buy up the land in present day Palm Shores and Westover, where over time they built new houses and a large apartment complex in Palm Shores, as well as some small businesses in Westover and Palm Shores. Their investment paid off, and as the economy improved in the 80s, they began to profit. Later, ambitious developers decided to buy up all of South Beach, a small spit of land to the west of their current holdings. They built a small number of luxury beach houses, and their investment paid off too. As new towns popped up, the Delaware DOT decided to extend I-76 to Cape Henopolan State Park in order to serve the growing population in Westover Islands, which was forced to either take a ferry or use the old US-40 bridge from Bordenville to Palm Shores via South Beach. Westover Islands became a hit with everyone, and soon the population had swelled to about 30,000 people in the town.

And... you forgot to mention how Westover legit failed as a vacation down, and now the whole Westover Islands, are a mess of a community. What used to be a nice relaxed beach region for ruined by crime.

Shouldn't this be in Fan content?
[Image: ZFBgp12.png]
Proud resident of the state of Nebraska.

Official UDU Tester

Owner and one of the founders of the Infinity Driving Universe
I made some for forgotten, un named, and settlements that no longer exist

Pike Way (Unofficial Name)

A small town that is located on South 1 and Gerald way. The community began in 1842 when relatively good soil was found on the site. There was little activity until 1932 when Gerald way was first road built to service the single farm. The road services maintince depot moved in on 1952 and then Pike Creek road was under construction and small shops were constructed between the farm and the road services building. In 1978, the population rose from 30 to 512 with large expansions and the construction of the new A1. After the new motorway was complete, the population went down again however to now it has been slowly rising. The current population now is 280 and a majority of them work in the road services building or the shops nearby.

Community that no longer exists

Not much is known of the place but several houses used to line it. Very little activity was known from here but most citizens there worked in a large collective farm. It vanished after a major earthquake and is now located where a hill is with modern day 26 now a bit north of it.

Neighbourhood that doesn't exist (1)

Reportedly demolished in 1982 with the new 95 project, it was a small stretch of road by a noise barrier with some countryside houses lined by it.

Old South Beach

On the island where now a small community with upper class houses rests in, used to be a massive tourist centre. In 1902, the city of South Beach was founded by some very wealthy businessmen who saw oppertunity in making the place a vacation hub. Although no bridge linked it with the mainland, the city took off as a success and soon, several commercial businesses lined the stretch of the island. In 1933, a bridge was built to link the island with the mainland but only one year later, the town was hit by a major 20 metre tsunami and was destroyed. The city doesn't exist now and al that is left is a single storefront sign that lay in the wastelands.

Neighbourhood that doesn't exist (2)

A small line of houses that were not far from Old South Beach. They met the same fate with the Tsunami.
[Image: XD95GQJ.png]
"You cannot send a friend request to yourself"
(11-15-2016, 09:09 PM)epic2022 Wrote: soon the population had swelled to about 30,000 people in the town.

how df can 30,000 people live in westover like smh
>>>"This thread is faulty!"<<< - TaurusReborn
PENNSYLVANIA
LEHIGHVALLEYROADGEEK
(11-16-2016, 04:01 PM)Joseph Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 09:09 PM)epic2022 Wrote: soon the population had swelled to about 30,000 people in the town.

If I'm not mistaken, they mentioned something about a disaster ruining the population? Or was that SB
(11-16-2016, 04:01 PM)Joseph Wrote:

with *rational* mind on, the most would be 10k, counting Woodbury, since technically Woodbury counts as Westover, at least in Illinois it would. However, in Wisco, they would let it be as a small town that uses other town's stuff.

Heh, Section 8 (This is like my 3rd thread in Section 8)

Oh well, heres another one of my backstories

ODESSA

In 1970, there was a need for a new suburb of Newark and Bordenville to be built. Thus, Odessa was born. Just off of US 40 and nearby I-95, it was planned to serve as a middle class suburb for those working in Newark and Bordenville. The only buildings in the location at the time was an old church and Odessa Hill Tunnel, built in the late 50s. However, construction of the town proved to be harder than expected. Local farmers in the area protested the creation of the town, and eventually, the town was reduced to half of the size of what it was planned. A poor local economy coupled with large debt in local real estate companies led to the town only having 2 streets of small cottages. Very few people moved into those houses, and eventually many real estate companies moved out of the project.

In 1990, with a rising crime rate in Newark, there was a need for a new prison to be built. Newark Municipal Government decided to place a new Police Department in Odessa along with a large Jail in Odessa. There was no protest and the project was built under-budget and 2 years ahead of schedule. Along with the largest Hospital in Delaware being built in 1995, Odessa began to expand, and a small array of small businesses sprung up. Now, Odessa is no longer the small sleepy town it used to be, but a small bustling suburb and commercial town.