Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Lag
Exclamation 
I am creating this post to let index know that Monroe is a pretty laggy map (Especially in the city area). And the solution to this problem would be to optimize the map more. To do so, I would recommend reviewing the buildings, and a few roads to try lower their part count. Another recommendation would also be to fix some overly bright buildings around the map (I have attached the images of where these lag-causing buildings are:)
[Image: WQiVOxW.png]
[Image: UMupiRN.png]
Oh wow, what's this?
:3 jjnw
1. Turn your graphics down, a game like this is already pushy with the boundaries of what Roblox can handle and the nature of the game itself, (it even says all of that stuff in the description) with the large downtown and map size, is obviously gonna prevent the game from performing at tip-top speeds. I was aware that this was going to happen from the start and sliced down part count and sacrificed detail where I could. If you came here expecting a buttery smooth framerate with a game of this nature, you've came to the wrong place. Roblox itself is also to blame, partly, the platform is horribly underoptimized as-is. One of the strong spots of the map that I've received good remarks on was detail, and because of that, that isn't something I want to sacrifice any further. The game has already proven itself as a successful product so I don't want to change what did that.

Consider your computer as well, your hardware could definitly be a limiting factor. Over the few months I have had this game out I've had little complaints brought to me about lag or slow performance (yours being one of the only ones I've seen myself), and not because it doesn't exist for most people, yes it definitely does and I even experience it myself, but for most people it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal - the game is still perfectly playable. If you're experiencing total unplayability, that problem is definitely on your end. So to try and mitigate a problem that doesn't have a lot of room to fix would be catering to a small audience, wouldn't do that much, and would be more work than it's really worth, which all add up to be not really that worth it.

2. Two buildings with lights that are brighter than normal do not lag an entire game. That wouldn't make any sense.
[Image: hD4gF80.png]
(06-21-2019, 11:41 AM)poorchoices Wrote: 1. Turn your graphics down, a game like this is already pushy with the boundaries of what Roblox can handle and the nature of the game itself, (it even says all of that stuff in the description) with the large downtown and map size, is obviously gonna prevent the game from performing at tip-top speeds. I was aware that this was going to happen from the start and sliced down part count and sacrificed detail where I could. If you came here expecting a buttery smooth framerate with a game of this nature, you've came to the wrong place. Roblox itself is also to blame, partly, the platform is horribly underoptimized as-is. One of the strong spots of the map that I've received good remarks on was detail, and because of that, that isn't something I want to sacrifice any further. The game has already proven itself as a successful product so I don't want to change what did that.

Consider your computer as well, your hardware could definitly be a limiting factor. Over the few months I have had this game out I've had little complaints brought to me about lag or slow performance (yours being one of the only ones I've seen myself), and not because it doesn't exist for most people, yes it definitely does and I even experience it myself, but for most people it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal - the game is still perfectly playable. If you're experiencing total unplayability, that problem is definitely on your end. So to try and mitigate a problem that doesn't have a lot of room to fix would be catering to a small audience, wouldn't do that much, and would be more work than it's really worth, which all add up to be not really that worth it.

2. Two buildings with lights that are brighter than normal do not lag an entire game. That wouldn't make any sense.

I absolutely agree with everything you said, Roblox is mainly to blame for this as well as my laptop/internet to some extent (Is 150 ping normal?). I went in-game to recheck whether the very bright areas affected my frame rate, and it seems like it doesn't. I must have mixed up the area I was looking at for the bright spots causing the lag (The bright spots do look weird though). So, I apologize for not re-evaluating to see if it was some other factor.
And above all, I don't want you to sacrifice any detail whatsoever! I would rather have low frame rate w/ high detail than a low detailed map w/ high frame rate! What I was trying to say was that if you can optimize an area without sacrificing detail, go for it! Every small change matters!

While I was rechecking everything in the map; I stumbled across an area that could be optimized by lowering the part count:
[Image: UKDT2aZ.png]
[Image: cXRNre0.png]
To lower the part count, each individual stone brick part (light-brownish parts below fencing) can be combined into one whole part that stretches across. This would lower the part count of one wall by 5 parts. Which although small, could make a difference in performance (5 less parts to load & display).
Even though this may seem small and unnecessary, these small tweaks can add up over time to improve performance as a whole.
Anyways, that has been my reply and I thank you for taking the time to reply to my post in great detail.
Oh wow, what's this?
Do you know what the specs on your computer are? I have experienced a wide range of computer specs through the many computers I have had. These large part count games can be very intensive on your CPU. My old laptop had a very low end CPU (Celeron, 2.1 GHz) that never performed well at anything, especially the large part count games like Monroe and Delancy Gorge. It wasn't until I got more powerful CPUs that I got improved frame rates on these large part count games. Judging by what you described, your computer is not up to spec to get a decent framerate on Monroe.
[Image: ZFBgp12.png]
Proud resident of the state of Nebraska.

Official UDU Tester

Owner and one of the founders of the Infinity Driving Universe
(06-26-2019, 02:37 PM)OmahaRoadgeek Wrote: Do you know what the specs on your computer are? I have experienced a wide range of computer specs through the many computers I have had. These large part count games can be very intensive on your CPU. My old laptop had a very low end CPU (Celeron, 2.1 GHz) that never performed well at anything, especially the large part count games like Monroe and Delancy Gorge. It wasn't until I got more powerful CPUs that I got improved frame rates on these large part count games. Judging by what you described, your computer is not up to spec to get a decent framerate on Monroe.

Yep, here they are (It's a very generic 2016 HP laptop):
CPU: A10-9600P (Base speed: 2.40Ghz)
GPU: 512mb Radeon R5 Graphics
RAM: 12GB
STORAGE: 1TB Hard drive
Genuinely speaking, it can run GTA 4, Farcry 3 on all high & Farcry 4 (surprisingly) on low settings at 1366x768p. I went to Delancy Gorge and check this out:
[Image: NszK7FO.png]
You were right, the main bottleneck here is the CPU. But it can also be the internet connection when there's a high volume of players. In the separate image above, it's target speed is at 33.00ms but it's average is about 52ms in Delancy Gorge.

I think this will be very helpful for finding the average performance of my below average laptop (for roblox, that is...):

I ran multiple benchmarks in 3 UD games:
Here's how I ran it: Joined game, switched to Police Team, drove to the most dense area of the map, and waited for everything to load in (Servers with Little Fires (either 1 or 0), No Rain, At Night, Average Amount of Players, Muted Chat & Radio) Then after that, I began recording the benchmark for 1 minute. I also repeated this test just to make sure it's accurate, and the second results were also very similar as well! So I can absolutely confirm that these results are accurate to how my laptop runs these 3 UD games.
(The Target CPU / recommended MS so that it runs well is 33ms, The lower=the better.)
Westover's CPU Average: 40-65ms         |(52.5)
Delancy Gorge's CPU Average: 50-75ms  |(62.5)
Monroe's CPU Average: 80-110ms          |(95)
Oh wow, what's this?
I should note that, if I remember correctly, Roblox only utilizes a single CPU core, regardless of what you have, which is another reason for lower performance.
[Image: hD4gF80.png]
Wow, that would really explain why It's struggling to run Roblox; I have about 4 CPU cores.
I checked with other sources and the Roblox launcher itself installed in my laptop, and yep; Roblox is in fact, a 32-bit application, which means it can only use a maximum of 4Gb's of ram and one CPU core only. I checked in-game too and it only uses 45% of my CPU when I play Monroe.... No wonder I'm struggling to run Monroe or any large Roblox game! It doesn't even use more than half of my CPU's power.
For why Roblox is STILL a 32-bit application in 2019 just baffles me.
Oh wow, what's this?
Roblox has an FPS cap at 60 http://prntscr.com/o8dhtr. If your computer can get to that then it is pretty decent. To fix the network lag you might be experiencing, I suggest getting a hardwire connection. Considering your machine might be up to 5 years old, your wifi card might be dying.
[Image: ZFBgp12.png]
Proud resident of the state of Nebraska.

Official UDU Tester

Owner and one of the founders of the Infinity Driving Universe
(06-20-2019, 06:36 PM)Pawsable Wrote: I am creating this post to let index know that Monroe is a pretty laggy map (Especially in the city area). And the solution to this problem would be to optimize the map more. To do so, I would recommend reviewing the buildings, and a few roads to try lower their part count. Another recommendation would also be to fix some overly bright buildings around the map (I have attached the images of where these lag-causing buildings areSmile
[Image: WQiVOxW.png]
[Image: UMupiRN.png]

map laging only the few road
other road do more road